Tubagua Ecolodge is a one of a kind tropical paradise in Puerto Plata, located in a region of the same name where the Turistica highway to Santiago spirals up the mountain, providing breath taking scenic views from the various casitas (thatched, Bohio-inspired rooms) and the well perched restaurant.
Nature lovers will specially enjoy the spectacular ocean vistas background with extensive green land below, reaching as far as Playa Dorada. Temperatures here are 10 degrees cooler than in town, and the only sounds we hear are birds chirping in the trees against the gentle Caribbean breeze.
TUBAGUA PHOTO GALLERY
What Types of rooms are found at Tubagua?
There are three types of rooms available at Tubagua:
- The Long House: considered ideal for backpackers, this one offers the best rates for groups and families, consists of 6 rooms with shared bathroom facilities and hot shower.
- The Palapas: A more romantic, sort of glamping choice of room, some include a gorgeous balcony with scenic vistas, and a deluxe version of a campo (Dominican countryside) bathroom just steps away.
- The Casitas: The most exclusive lodging option at Tubagua, the casitas are private and include their own ensuite bathroom, hot shower and balcony.
Is there a restaurant in Tubagua?
The bar restaurant in Tubagua does have a great kitchen that serves family style (local) food, with some interesting options. They do not have a menu, charge very little for a meal plan and allow guests to bring snacks and cold treats. The bar area offers local and some international drinks, nothing too fancy; but hey, this is an Ecolodge to pamper the senses and promote a healthy lifestyle.
Good to Know:
• People 5 years old and younger are considered infants. People older than 5 and younger than 16 are considered children
• We provide linen and towels
• Snacks: bring your own cold food/snacks. Fridge provided in social area
• As part of our policy to encourage local opportunity, we have no cooking facilities for guests
The rates will vary with the number of people and selected rooms, please be sure to visit the Tubagua website and contact them directly to make a reservation. If you care about using body wash or fancy toiletries, please know this ecolodge will have very basic soap bars, a true ecotour kind of experience. I would advise to bring your favorite toiletries if you really care about those small details.
ON VIDEO: TUBAGUA BY DELIGHTFUL TRAVELERS
What Activities can we enjoy at Tubagua?
The catalog of tours when visiting Tubagua can be wide ranging, we`d say this is a perfect area for excellent hiking tours, also bird watching and trekking. One of the best tours is the Charco de los Militares, a waterfall adventure that can be reached on foot (1.5 hrs) through the mountain, or by car in 30 minutes.
More famous Damajagua 27 falls is a longer tour as it extends to 27 falls that cascade to one another over a more extended forest area. Those who want to explore prehistoric fossils will want to visit the Amber Museum in Puerto Plata, and the Amber Gallery. A trip to the Amber mines is also available via the Tubagua Concierge.
A great visual perspective of the entire city of Puerto Plata can be experienced from the top of the Isabel de Torres mountain, reachable by the Cable Car (teleferico) tour. Bird watching enthusiasts and botanical garden lovers will enjoy this tour a lot, recommended. Visiting an Eco lodge means you will want to try a horseback riding experience along rivers, farm and forest land.
How can we get there?
Tubagua Ecolodge is easy to get to, if you`re coming from Puerto Plata just drive straight from highway 5 towards the Turistica highway, up the mountain, takes about 15 minutes ( see Google map below). This eco lodge is less than 50 meters from the highway and has parking facilities. From Santiago the drive takes about an hour, via the same highway.
Contact Tubagua: Toll-Free from USA & Canada 1-800-906-6646
Local Cell 1-809-696-6932
GARMIN GPS: Latitude: 19.667509 | Longitude: -70.664873